A new week, a #NewComicBookDay woot! This week’s #PullList is a bit short (or maybe not? maybe?,) but that’s okay, ’cause I’ve got LOTS to talk about with Toronto Comicon coming up, which is less than two weeks from now! Have you got your tickets yet? Did you know kids under 12 are free with adult admission? I’m thinking of bringing KitKat along again for a day, ’cause he loved FanExpo so much last year. Nothing more awesome than a 3 yo kid going bananas for Super Mario and Dr. Who’s TARDIS, heh.
From March 20th to 22nd, this three-day jam-packed event is, well… packed. There is really way too much to list everything that will be happening at this year’s Toronto Comicon, so I’m going to list the main events/guests/groups that I’m really looking forward to seeing this year.
I’ve watched a few celebrity panels in the past, though this is probably the least “important” bit of a Comicon for me. I remember seeing Christopher Judge at a similar event, and he was pretty funny. (Eek, like 10 years ago? Whoa.) Wonder what he’s working on these days, or maybe this panel will be reminiscing Stargate SG1? I was a huge fan of that show, so I might just have to go watch this one. Heck, I might have to pull out my DVDs and try to marathon a couple seasons before comicon! Another Stargate SG1 alumni, Morena Baccarin (better known for Firefly though, and I love her as Dr. Leslie Thompkins in Gotham,) is someone else I’d want to see, but mainly ’cause she’s listed as Wade Wilson’s GF in the upcoming Deadpool movie and the totally-impatient-inner-five-year-old is kinda hoping she’ll have a few tidbits of the movie to share.
Comic Book Writers/Artists
Every time I read the featured list, there is another talented comic guest that I would love to meet. In no particular order…
- Stéphane Roux – his gorgeous cover of Guardians Team Up #2 is coming out tomorrow! Also? Harley Quinn (’nuff said, am I right?)
“Stephanes fan favorite famous sketchbooks including interiors, covers, prints, and unique commissions – really pack a punch and demand at any convention he attends.”
- Ty Templeton – Batman ’66 is epic, and I have to wonder what its like to bring our favourite 60’s live-action Batman characters back for more fun in a comic format. The colours, art and story really bring you back to that golden campy era of Batman and Robin. Its nostalgia at its best.
“Ty was born in the wilds of downtown Canada…”
- Michael Walsh – One of my fave comic book series is Secret Avengers (particularly the most recent set,) and I’m hoping with all hope that he’s accepting sketch requests, ’cause I have a comic cover that is really in need of his genius.
- Ken Lashley – Lashley’s bio sounds like he’s done it all for both Marvel and DC comics (he was the cover artist for AXIS: Revolutions that I really enjoyed.) And anyone can draw on paper, but it takes really skillz to draw on a car, yeah?
- Richard Comely – the creator of Captain Canuck! This captain is getting a whole new reboot with Chapter House Comics on Free Comic Book Day (May 2nd.)
Straight from Richard Comely to you. pic.twitter.com/cnbxAS8qWk
— Captain Canuck (@CaptainCanuck) January 4, 2015
I hadn’t realised how many of my fave comic artists and writers actually in and around the GTA, if there Twitter locations are anything to go by, whoa!
There is a ton of cosplay panels happening this year, wow! Including how-to workshops/discussions to improve your own designs. I never really got into cosplay, but I love seeing the results from such talented fans. What I’m looking forward to attending though are…
- OFFICIAL GOOGLE INGRESS GAME PANEL & MISSION – have you tried Ingress yet? I’m just downloading it now.
- CAPTAIN CANUCK WEB SERIES PANEL – an indepth look at the new reboot for a web series and comic.
- THE 501st LEGION: STAR WARS PHOTO SESSIONS – this is a traditional must for even the most casual of Star Wars fans.
- INNERSPACE LIVE WITH KILLJOYS SPECIAL GUESTS – I enjoyed watching Aaron Ashmore in Warehouse 13, so am kinda curious to hear what Killjoys is all about!
- RETAILER AREA – There are many books that are on my must-get list, and am hoping to check a few off my list with Toronto Comicon’s comic vendors. Last year, I managed to get the majority of Marvel Avengers’ Civil War (except for #1 natch.)
- #MarliesStarWarsNight – The Marlies v.s. Lake Erie Monsters, Friday March 20th at 7PM (oh I hope to go!) – ’cause what the Star Wars franchise has been missing all this time is hockey leagues (If Harry Potter can have Quidditch, there’s no reason why Skywalker couldn’t play forward, heh.) Jay and I haven’t gone to a Marlies game in years… #BadTorontonians, but this sounds like the perfect time to see them play again.
Whew! How I am gonna get to do everything on my list, I don’t even know. But with a bucket of coffee in hand at all times, I’m gonna try. 🙂 Are you going??
While I try to figure out my schedule to get the most out of Toronto’s Comicon, check out my comic pull list for this week!
Marvel Comics Released on Wednesday March 11, 2015
- All-New X-Men #37
- Amazing Spider-Man #16
- Amazing Spider-Man Special #1
- Ant-Man #3
- Brilliant #6
- Captain Marvel #13
Deadpool (2012) #43
I love me my Deadpool, he can do no wrong, lol. Plus “damned dirty bamfers” sounds like a fun time to be had, heh.
Writer: Gerry Duggan
Cover Artist: Giuseppe Camuncoli
First: Deadpool let loose in an oil field! Then: Deadpool & Shiklah enter the Tomb of Scariness! Guest-starring Omega Red and damned dirty bamfers!
- Fantastic Four #644
Guardians Team-Up #2
The first comic in this series was pretty good. The bad-guys are the Chitauri, and it through me for tiny loop when Hawkeye pretty much says, “Who are the Chitauri?”, and he knew the Guardians team as well. The comics-verse is always much different than the movie-verse, but this was one of the few times where the difference was highly prevalent for me (even though I remember reading Chitauri vs Kree well before the first Avengers movie….) Anyway, something tells me that this group of Chitauri won’t die altogether when the mothership goes BOOM.
Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Artist: Stéphane Roux
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and THE AVENGERS! • Follow part two of this story as the Guardians of the Galaxy slam their way into the world of the Avengers – and only working together as a team will help them save the galaxy! • Tension runs high when survival is at stake, and when the likes of Gamora, Black Widow, Hawkeye and Rocket are forced to problem solve together, it can mean only one thing is guaranteed – destruction!
Howard the Duck (2015) #1
I vaguely remember Howard the Duck from back in the day, but was excited to see him as part of the background fun of the Collector’s collection in Guardians of the Galaxy. This promises to be a fun ride, and am looking forward to the movie reboot in 2017! Do you remember the movie from, what … 1990 was it? Am hoping the new one is bit more, erm… classy? Heh.
Writer: Chip Zdarsky
Cover Artist: Joe Quinones
HOT off the pages of the … the post-credits scene at the … the end of a … popular movie … HOWARD THE DUCK is back! Join him as he takes on the weird cases that only a talking duck can crack as the Marvel Universe’s resident private investigator! Let Sex Criminals’ CHIP ZDARSKY (a writer known mostly as an artist) and JOE QUINONES (an artist known mostly as a lover) guide you through his new world as he takes on THE BLACK CAT and MYSTERIOUS FORCES FROM OUTER SPACE! WAUGH!
- Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man #11
- Ms. Marvel #13
- New Avengers #31
- Nova Annual #1
- Scarlet #8
- Silver Surfer #10
- Spider-Gwen #2
- Spider-Man & the X-Men #4
- Spider-Man 2099 #10
- Star Wars #3
- Superior Iron Man #6
- Thor #6
- Wolverines #10
DC Comics Released on Wednesday March 11, 2015
- Action Comics #40
- Arrow Season 2.5 #6
- Batman Eternal #49
- Batman: Arkham Knight #1
- Constantine #23
Detective Comics: Endgame #1
The summary sounds pretty awesome (any Joker story is one I’m bound to enjoy,) but this is one of those cases where I just really enjoy the cover, and a good story will be a bonus!
Writer: Brian Buccellato
Artist: Roge Antonio
Cover Artist: Rafael Albuquerque
The city is overrun by Jokerized victims, but a small band of teenagers unites to take a stand. Their secret knowledge of Gotham City’s streets helps them survive, but will Batman take help from this young group of upstarts? And what could it mean for the future of the young heroes in Gotham City?
- Earth 2: World’s End #23
- Green Lantern Corps #40
- Injustice: Gods Among Us Year Three #11
- Justice League United #10
- Klarion #6
- Mortal Kombat X #4
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? #55
- Smallville Season 11: Continuity #4
- The New 52: Futures End #45
- The New Suicide Squad #8
- World’s Finest #32